View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #651 (permalink)
11Thumper
Track Member

Drives: '11 370Z, '01 S2k
11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoNY View Post
I'll add my .02 here in regards to people saying manual isn't great in traffic. Sure, AT is probably "easier" in traffic, but I've commuted in traffic the past several years in manual transmission cars and I never once wished I had an AT. Truth is if you know how to drive stick properly by leaving enough room between you and the car in front, driving stick in traffic is a breeze and hardly requires a gear change. To that point, driving manual helps foster and promote better driving habits.
Some truth to this but IMO stretching it a bit to fit your application. I commute 40 miles each way to work in the Bay Area and did it for years with a MT. Sure, I employed a similar technique as you mentioned (although not sure how it relates to knowing how to drive stick properly as you suggested) but I can tell you hands down the AT is much easier and less stressful in the commute.

My situation changed last year and I purchased a dedicated commute car so the Z sits in my garage mostly now. Had I seen this happening with a crystal ball I would have purchased the 6MT for the Z. However, I don't get disappointed when I take the Z up to the mountains and have fun with it since the 7AT is a very nice unit. It's smooth, quick shifting and behaves the same all the time.

I don't think anyone could really win the argument that a MT is actually better in traffic.
11Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote