View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like the synchros are pretty shitty in the Z. Sometimes it just acts like a unsynchronized transmission. I skip gears pretty regularly and have found that you just have to be patient with it. I like to shift from 3rd or 4th directly to 6th gear when I'm accelerating to merge onto the highway, but I have to hang out at the 6th gear gate waiting for the engine to slow down to match drivetrain speed. If I don't, it will grind, guaranteed.

All that being said, I hardly ever grind the gears. When I was still learning the vehicle, I had 1-2 grind a couple of times, but those were 100% my fault. And after about 20K miles, I started getting the grind going from 4th to 6th too quickly. Nothing I couldn't control with some practice and basic adjustments to my driving habits. I've been running Redline since 15K miles, also.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |

Last edited by JARblue; 03-04-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: on an upshift the engine slows down, not the transmission... duh
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote