View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoNY View Post
Hey guys,

Whatever manual car I've had has had their related online forums that have a lot of topics on synchros going bad, usually 3rd and 5th gear. On these forums it seems the 5th gear synchros aren't that durable either. I currently have a 2014 Nismo but my previous 350z had a 5th gear synchro issue and it happened first upon a simple downshift from 6th to 5th - from that point on, it would grind every now and then.

So I'm curious, is there an inherent design flaw in the Z transmission, where, over time, the synchros will just start to fail? Is there a reason it's more prevalent in 5th gear rather than 2nd or 4th? Even if the driver is very careful about shifting, is synchro failure still inevitable?

Are there any best practices to preserve the synchros in this car that involve driving habits or maintenance? My car is covered till 2021/100k miles but I'd still like to avoid any problems if I could.
not sure if your 350Z was an isolated issue or not, but usually the first plan of action is to try different tranny oil. my G is 04 and while it was tight in the early days, no issue with grinding. honestly i dont think ive ever grinded the gears on my G over the 10yrs.

hell, i grind my 2.5 yr old honda fit more than my G and Z total years combined (15yrs total)
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote