View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
AntiVenom
Track Member

Drives: 2011 KAD 6MT
AntiVenom has a spectacular aura aboutAntiVenom has a spectacular aura aboutAntiVenom has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftop View Post
putting lipstick on a pig only goes so far

i've seen a lot of varied (read: poor) results from plasti-dip which is why most people think it's a crappy product.

things to remember:
-the under surface needs to be clean. i actually think it's a good idea to clean, and polish it (no wax). the smoother the surface the easier it spreads/runs/connects/whatever this stuff does. while you can hide minor imperfections with the stuff... it's not magic. if your subsurface is for ****, your end result will be for ****.
-you shouldn't spray it on thick. just like any other paint, it will run, crack, and get weird.
-this idea of multiple coats with a complete dry time in between causes a weird texturing effect. the stuff is rubber, and it "builds" a lot faster than paint. i've found that for a smooth product it's better to spray with minimal dry time in between. the problem is an increased risk of drips, but if you get it to work, the product is a lot closer to a matte paint than all the other methods i've used/seen.

i am by no means an expert though.

the good part is: if you didn't like the result. wait for it to dry. peel it. start over. play with it until you get a result you want.

Last edited by AntiVenom; 02-21-2015 at 05:08 PM.
AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote