View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

When I bought my Z, it had like 6 miles on it... so it was broken in before I got to it. I think my mustang had 12... thats more than broken in.

The only reason I do not go immediate full throttle on a fresh fully built engine is for the sake of debris and contaminants in the oil. The filter will catch them, but that is only after they have made their way back to the pan and through the pump again. For a factory "new" car with a couple miles on it, whatever happened before I got it is out of my control so its ready to drive hard as far as I am concerned. For a fresh build that I did myself, I get the engine up to operating temp off idle and bleed the cooling system, then I change the oil. Just because a shop/home/DIY/etc engine build is going to introduce more contamination during assembly than a factory build.