View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
Loled at BFG

Besides re11 only other choice is PSS and DW or S04 for most
They show excellent dry grip mannerisms (although apparently I am mistaken on them being superior to the RE-11's, BTW -- maybe about equal -- the test numbers seem wildly different, even for the same tires [Neova] across tests... driver maybe?) -- is it because of their generally poorer wet performance?

Compare http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118 vs. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=197

EDIT: Aha, different cars. Okay, using the Dunlop's as the benchmark then, it would be down to RE-11's or BFG's, so I will defer to novelty and stick with the BFG's for now.

EDIT #2: Also see here for the newer RE-11A's vs the BFG's.... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=172

OK. Sticking w BFG's then.

While the DW and S04 are pretty inexpensive, the PSS's are around or over $1200 for sizes I would want, and not in the same category -- I realize category judgments are somewhat arbitrary, but the price is prohibitive for me.

Also note, that (category aside), while personal feedback on preference matters to me (e.g., anecdotes, review survey data), I'm using track test results as my key metrics (dry slalom, dry stopping, g), and price/available sizes of interest to me as major determinants.

If you look at dry times on the detailed charts (ignoring more subjective opinion-based survey data, noise, comfort, and -- not at all subjective, but of lesser importance to me -- wet traction) the BFG's GF R's blow away the PSS's, DW's, and the S04's, and at a reasonable price point.

All three that you listed are shown to be better in the wet, but I drive gently in the rain, so my primary desire is ultimate dry grip, where all three are lacking.

With that in mind, as far as tire footprint, usually I'm less pleased when tires have smaller tread blocks and many water channels -- that's better for the rain, but that design tends to be slow on dry pavement by comparison.

Similarly, although UTQG's are somewhat arbitrarily determined, I find that when they are over 200, you can expect tires to last longer but not grip very well. As you creep over 300, we're talking a tough, rather than sticky, tire, generally.

If I regret the BFG's, I'll try something else next time, but none of the test data I've reviewed suggest it lags except in wet track conditions. I'll risk a bit of that for max dry grip.

Last edited by Jordo!; 02-19-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote