View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fuzzzy
Track Member

Drives: 2014 370Z 7AT MR
Fuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please push me or talk me off the ledge

I know just enough about car audio to know that I don't know enough about it. When I bought my Z, I bought it with the intention of upgrading the audio as well as installing nav and back-up camera. I know that I am not knowledgeable or handy enough to tackle this job myself. I intend to keep my Z as long as I can, so I want something I will be happy with and not regret leaving off "new" features that may soon become standard. I hope still to be driving the Z in ten years.

I have had Dynamat installed, and it has quietened the Z to a level where I don't think I will regret investing in some audio upgrades. I think my expectations for sound quality are realistic. I understand that by going to a local audio dealer, I am going to pay a premium--even more so because there is only one such shop relatively local to me. Such is life. However, I would like to go in with a very good idea of what I want/need so I can "buy" rather than "be sold."

This is what I am considering and would like some feedback as to whether it is absolute overkill, inadequate, totally unnecessary, etc, as well as if I am overlooking something obvious.

HU: Kenwood DNN992 DNN992 Special Site - Kenwood
This seems almost frivolous, but I am afraid that a few years down the road, I may miss some of the features if I go with a lesser unit.

Maestro interface: iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR This would seem to allow gauge readings and engine codes to be displayed on the HU, but information seems to be sparse as to exactly what it would display for the Z. Does anyone know for sure?

Sub: KICKER | Hideaway Powered Subwoofer I have never had a sub in a vehicle and am not sure if I need one. I don't need to blow out the windows, but I do very much prefer good subs in my home audio systems. I am pretty sure I do not want a big sub in the Z due to space limitations. I became interested in this sub from Bigaudiofan's installation of one on the shelf behind the driver's seat in this thread (at the end of post #1): Big's 2014 California Install Thread .

Amp: Am I wrong in thinking that I will not need a separate amp with the above HU? Even with the Kicker sub since it is a powered sub?

Backup Camera: No idea. Are there any real differences? If so, anything particular to look for? It seems this HU has 2 camera inputs--any reason to consider more than one camera on a Z?

Speakers: I haven't gotten down to specifics here, but there are several threads here, as well as elsewhere, that I can review. I'm assuming whether I add a sub would influence my selection here? Would the type of speakers be different or just a need for better quality if no sub is present? Should the tweeters in the dash be replaced as well as the door speakers?

If you made it this far, I appreciate your time and welcome your comments.
Fuzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote