View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
imag
Enthusiast Member

Drives: up the wall
imag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zsteve View Post
Vinyl won't scratch from an errant rock on the highway? Although it has to be better than the matte paint, I agree.
Vinyl will be a slight pain, but nowhere near matte paint. Also, if it does get trashed, it's easy to slap a new wrap on that panel without worrying about color match. After matte paint has been on for a few months, I doubt you will be able to match it. It will fade and get dirty in ways you can't clean (as someone mentioned, polishing matte is... problematic).

And yes - vinyl matte is just like those advertising wraps, but with no advertising. Which also means you aren't destroying the car's resale value by applying it. Quite the opposite; you are protecting the original paint.

As I say, I love matte, but unless it's a show car, you are extraordinarily wealthy, or you want it to look like a road warrior car, it's a big issue.

15 years ago before this matte craze, I always thought it would be fun to get a Lamborghini Countach and do it up like one of the original Star Wars ships - navy gray, with blast marks and smoke burns trailing from the vents. I still think it would be a great thing to do with the right car, especially because it would be an entirely new way to do an exotic. Only certain cars work with that aesthetic though, and I don't think ours is one of them...