Thread: Winter beater
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #64 (permalink)
NissanGuy23
Track Member

Drives: 09 370Z NISMO PG 6MT
NissanGuy23 is just really niceNissanGuy23 is just really niceNissanGuy23 is just really niceNissanGuy23 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_Z09 View Post
I agree with you about tires being important, but I definitely don't agree that oversteer is preferable to understeer. Understeer is predictable; oversteer is not. Also, 4 wheels turning absolutely helps keep you straight when cornering compared to just spinning the rears. Ice is ice, but I've purposely drifted my Cherokee in snow through enough (slow) turns to know the difference... If I tried that in the Z it wouldn't end well. I also doubt that power was ever a factor in my wife's or my v6 Mustang offroading adventures. Those cars have none

I literally got my Z stuck on a flat side street in less than 1 inch of snow last January. Sure, the summer tires didn't help. But you can't tell me it compares in any way to a 4WD platform that I've taken up steep logging trails through several inches of snow and ice, regardless of tire choice.
Yea my AWD subaru is far better in snow than my RWD Jeep was on the same tires. Acceleration is a huge part to driving a car (it makes it go) and having twice the grip makes the difference. The Jeep would just spin when i got to an incline, or get stuck, Subaru just rips up any hills and is controllable around corners (while accelerating) where as the Jeep is dangerous.
NissanGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote