Thread: Winter beater
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #61 (permalink)
HEK
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '13 Z Tour Sports 6m
HEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond reputeHEK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotta View Post
Took me almost 10 years of driving to learn it's got everything to do with the tires and almost nothing to do with the 2wd vs 4wd for normal winter roads (off road and mountain climbing excluded). For example, my wife drives a 4wd Ford Escape for the winter. That thing was scary as sh!t to drive in the winter with the factory all season tires, absolutely no stopping or accelerating ability. I threw on snow tires for her and it grips like no tomorrow now.

For people that have driven only rear wheel drive cars their whole life driving in the winter is a piece of cake, in fact I can get around most of the time without even getting the traction control to engage so I'm not slipping and sliding anywhere.

4wd with snow tires will make it easier and more forgiving for the majority but I wouldn't drive a junker half the year just because of that reason. On the other hand if we are talking bustin through snow drifts and driving off road I will take the 4wd. I had a jeep cj back in the day and enjoyed going to the jeep offroad events.

Everyone just needs to drive what they feel comfortable in.
what he said
HEK is offline   Reply With Quote