Thread: Winter beater
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
Duc_Z09
Track Member

Drives: With the blinker on.
Duc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond reputeDuc_Z09 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubya View Post
I feel like I'm picking on you as this is the second post of yours I don't fully agree with.

I'll take the superior (in many cases) weight distribution of RWD in the snow. I'll also take oversteer as opposed to understeer.

Lastly, 4WD and AWD only get you going. They don't help you stop better or provide any drastic improvement to turning in the snow. If you hit a huge patch of ice, no drivetrain in the world is saving you. The tires on your car are more important than any drivetrain choice you make.

I hear where you're coming from about unexpected things happening to RWD cars in poor conditions though, but I think that's more of a function of a driver being unprepared to handle the power that comes with most RWD cars.
I agree with you about tires being important, but I definitely don't agree that oversteer is preferable to understeer. Understeer is predictable; oversteer is not. Also, 4 wheels turning absolutely helps keep you straight when cornering compared to just spinning the rears. Ice is ice, but I've purposely drifted my Cherokee in snow through enough (slow) turns to know the difference... If I tried that in the Z it wouldn't end well. I also doubt that power was ever a factor in my wife's or my v6 Mustang offroading adventures. Those cars have none

I literally got my Z stuck on a flat side street in less than 1 inch of snow last January. Sure, the summer tires didn't help. But you can't tell me it compares in any way to a 4WD platform that I've taken up steep logging trails through several inches of snow and ice, regardless of tire choice.
2009 370z #206 (all mods are Home Depot)
2009 Ducati 848 (full Ohlins, Termignoni, etc)
2003 Grand Cherokee (long arms, big tires, 4.56, lockers)
Duc_Z09 is offline   Reply With Quote