View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

This is why the Grand Am race teams went dry sump - the NISMO oil pumps gears are just a better steel - they just tolerate the harmonics for longer, but are still subject to failure under sustained rpm >8500. The only place for definitive information will be Doran Racing or NISMO Japan and the key is getting the information - they are usually reluctant to provide information to other than race teams.

This is not a "road-user" issue, but a "race" issue. Since my engine is ultimately destined for a race series where 1-hour and 3-hour races are the norm, I am vitally interested in oil pump reliability and I am happy to contemplate dry-sump from the get-go as a consequence.

Ross Performance in Albury, NSW (see here :| Ross Performance Engine Parts - Metal Jacket - ROSS Tuffbond Harmonic Balancers - Crankshaft Damper - ROSS Performance Parts |: and follow links for dry-sump/oil pump drives) are working on an external oil pump (Gilmer belt drive) for the VQ/HR as well as an "affordable" dry-sump kit (by comparison to the Dailey Engineering "gold-standard" - it won't be "cheap").

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I wish there was some solid information on the NISMO pump. Last I heard, the nismo DE/revup pumps grenade just the same with increased RPM. Havent heard any first hand information on the HR/VHR versions but I assume its the same case.
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote