View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #115 (permalink)
edconline
Track Member

Drives: 10' MB Z34 6MT T/S/N
edconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj123 View Post
Well after much research I ended up getting the Focal 165FX's with the Focal Solid 2 Amp. I also took the advise of many to Dynamat the doors. I ordered the speakers Thursday from ABT in Chicago and and they arrived Friday. Free shipping. I also got the spacers from zenenclosures. They worked great. Just finished getting everything back together and it sounds nice. The factory speakers I pulled out were cheap crap. I couldn't believe it.
Anyway here is my question for anyone out there tonight.

On the Focal amp there are 3 controls
1 Gain - I can handle that
2 Crossover- HPF-FULL-LPF Not sure on this setting with my setup
3 FREQ- 50-150 HZ Not sure on this either

On the Crossovers I left them at the factory settings.
Tweeter=0db
Woofer=High

Thanks, Mike
Speakers look good man, those are some beefy spacers!

I'll let someone else handle the question you just posted, but FWIW, when we are talking about dynamat for the doors, it's the outer door skin you want to do. That's where the majority of the sound waves will be hitting, that's what's going to resonate the most, and that's what is going to improve your SQ most noticeably.

In order to do this, you need to remove the window glass from the door, then remove that metal piece you covered in matting. That will give you access to the outer door skin. The piece you did matting on doesn't resonate much, it's pretty heavy gauge and secured quite well. I'm not saying don't do ANY dynamat on it, but a couple strips is more than sufficient.

I realize at this stage this is hardly good news, but if you want to do it right, this is the way to do it. The FSM has all the details for complete door disassembly. For reference, here are some pics: