View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Quaife with OEM 6MT gears and a KAAZ 2-way with 4:08:1 gears.

The Quaife is quite soft in operation and works well enough on the track until I start being aggressive with the kerbs. Once one rear wheel is airborne over the kerbs, the Quaife is like an open diff, you need both rear tyres on the tarmac for it to lock.

Check auto wikipedia for details on operation of ATB and plate-types - it is relatively simple conceptually.

The KAAZ is one mean mutha .... it is set to be very aggressive and is worth as much as a second/lap for me at some tracks, and next to no time at others - it depends on the nature of each circuit and whether lap-time comes from being smooth and flowing the car, or whether the lap-time comes from being aggressive over kerbs and that is where the KAAZ shines because mine is very close to fully locked

Around town, the KAAZ is a PITA - it clanks, groans and creaks and puts a huge stress onto the drive-shaft CV joints, whereas the Quaife is a pussy-cat (in the absence of torque, it is effectively open, it is the application of torque in the driveline with differing wheel speeds that causes the helical gears in the diff to put pressure into the diff and force drive equally to both driveshafts).

Given your budget objectives, the Quaife is the way to go ... for outright performance, a 2-way will be the better option.
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote