View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
KillerBee370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with passion
KillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'DoyleRules View Post
Instead of installing HFC can I just remove the oem catalytic converters?

Whats the reasons vs. the two?

I live in california, so I know both are illegal. And i wont need a smog check until 4 years. Thats what i DO know.
Generally speaking, the less restriction, the more power produced through freeing up the slim factory pipes and dense element in an OEM cat. This has a much better result from a turboed or supercharged engine in terms of numbers however the 370 does definitely suffer from a choked up exhaust and tests have shown a definite increase in power.

The real question is, what are you wanting to achieve by doing so? Are you looking to heavily modify the car for maximum power? It sounds like you would be better off leaving the car alone if this is the only thing you plan on doing. And technically, we don't NEED a smog for 4 years HOWEVER, you can still recieve a violation for having illegal parts on your car and have to put the stock parts back on in order to pass... you guessed it... a SMOG test. I'm pretty sure our money hungry, revenue collecting state has mandated that you don't need a smog for 4 years provided the vehicle is in stock form. All other bets are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkROAM_1 View Post
When in doubt, stay smog legal. Never know when good ole sniffer vans will be by those on ramps. Or maybe that's just a Tx thing. :lol:
Yes, we have those same "data collecting" vehicles set up on the side of the freeway onramps out here too. And what's more, we have rolling smog stops...

Now generally they are pointing in clunkers but hey.. you never know. Now it is my understanding that when the cop points you in, you can decline to be detained and they can't make you stay. Any law enforcement peeps here can lend insight on that? When I rolled by earlier (without my camera) there was a line of about 4 cars waiting to get "smogged" for "research" and these poor people are out a half hour to 45 min. ?? of their day? BS
KillerBee370 is offline   Reply With Quote