View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #77 (permalink)
RoshDawg
Track Member

Drives: '13 911 C2S
RoshDawg has a spectacular aura aboutRoshDawg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
I swear we must have been brothers in another life.

Here is my take on the 2015 GT:

It's a big step up from the previous car in terms of interior quality and driving dynamics. We all know the engine is fantastic and it goes like hell, so I don't need to talk about that. If you like the retro-modern styling the cabin is a very nice place to be. The materials all have a premium feel, with some exceptions, and the ergonomics are very good. With the tilt/telescope wheel and lower seating position it's much easier to find the sweet spot.

As far as dynamics go, it's much more composed than it ever was thanks to the IRS, which is very well done, and the revised front suspension. It still has some of that old Mustang charm which makes it entertaining to drive, but it's got a lot more refined European GT car mixed in. I think the GT Performance Package has the car set up almost perfectly for street performance use. It's a very capable car. If I had to compare it to something else, it's a bit like a larger and more civilized E92 M3.

That said, I do have some gripes:

Steering wheel: It's far too thin, and the spokes are too thick with all of the buttons. It's not comfortable to grip, and the leather does not feel very pleasant to me. If I had one, I'd have to get the wheel reupholstered with padded, premium leather.

Gauges: They are so much easier to read than before, but "Ground Speed MPH" on the speedometer is so tacky. It really, really bothers me for some reason.

Seats: The standard seats are heated and cooled. They look nice in pictures, but in reality they are so soft that the bolsters don't do anything to hold you in. It's a shame because the only other option is the manual Recaros with no heat.

Materials: Unless you get the 68P (I think that's the code) option, you get the cheap plastic doors. The option adds the soft touch vinyl to the doors so it feels like every other civilized $30k+ vehicle on the market.

If you end up considering a GT, I'd wait for the 2016 MY. The car will get Sync 3 and they should have sorted out some of the QC issues (panel fit and some interior trim problems) by then.

Long story short, the GT did nothing to keep me from thinking about the M235i. Nothing.
Haha seriously. I don't think I've ever disagreed with a single one of your posts in the past 5 years. I gotta buy you a beer man!
and considering how we have the same views, I guess I won't be liking the GT nearly as much as the m235i, especially for extended driving times.
I think I'm gonna wait a bit regardless as I'm gonna get a new house and don't want a loan for a car on my record.
Have you driven the M3/M4? Any thoughts on them even if you havnt?