View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
JZNx
Base Member

Drives: 370z
JZNx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaonasock View Post
Is this from a dealership or independent mechanic?
This is a MOSSY NISSAN. A dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
One bit of advice: this would be the perfect job to learn to do yourself. Replacing brake pads is pretty easy and you'll learn quite a bit. A good set of front and rear pads (ones that will reduce squealing) will cost about $100. The money you save would be better spent on investing in a decent jack, jackstands, torque wrench, tools, etc. which will be of great use later as well. Search out a few DIYs on it and at least consider it.
You have no idea how many times I wanted to do that. I checked the prices on these pads and your right, they are around $100 at most. Its just I work Monday to Friday and I don't know why but I just don't have the time anymore. Now that I make money, I don't mind spending it on some labor (even though its a ripoff most say). Also my environment isn't the best for repairing car atm. Currently living in a condo and we are "technically" not supposed to work on our cars. I am pretty sure no one will care but at the same time I want to respect the community rules. But in future, I really want to do these things on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ View Post
You don't say whether the pads you have today are the original pads or aftermarket. If they are aftermarket aggressive pads they may squeal as long as you have them. If they are OEM pads, it is odd that they are making noise with 8mm left (I think new pad thickness is around 10mm). Whoever is assessing your brakes needs to explain why they want to replace pads with so much life left on them.

Agree with your comments, but I think you may be low-balling him. Front pads MSRP is about $85/set and rear pads are about $78/set from the stealership.
Sounds like I am getting ripped off

My real question is, is it okay to just leave the front alone for now?

Thanks for the advice, its really helping!
JZNx is offline   Reply With Quote