View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
PharmDZ
Track Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z BS M6
PharmDZ is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension/brake problem - slight shudder and left pull

Hey everyone - I've had a chronic issue now with brake shudder and my car pulling slightly left (which becomes annoying on the highway when you have to keep the wheel slightly right or it'll veer off).

First off, the brake issue. I used to use hawk HP+ pads along with the stock rotors with Z1 stainless lines and motul RBF600 fluid at the track and autocross. After a few HPDE sessions I found that under braking at highway speed the wheel was shuddering pretty bad. I tried rebedding but ended up just getting a set of Z1 two piece rotors instead. This initially fixed the problem, but after another track session and a few autocross the problem resurfaced. I had also installed the Stillen brake ducting last year to help prevent over-heating issues. I then noticed my two piece rotors had the internal vanes running in the wrong direction, and replaced them with new Z1 two piece rotors. Since then I've been running EBC yellow stuff pads, and needless to say the problem with brake shudder is back yet again. I started noticing it again at highway speeds, and I really want to get this ironed out before racing season is here again. I did bed the pads in correctly. Should I try re-bedding them? I've read enough to know that warping shouldn't really be an issue, especially with the precautions I've taken to prevent the brakes getting too hot (and also never sitting on the brakes coming off the track when they're hot).

Onto the second issue... I had replaced my stock tires on the Rays sport rims with Hankook RS3's 275/35r19 square and since then have had some issues with the car pulling. I've had the alignment redone and rechecked multiple times and it isn't an issue. The shop who originally put them on even rebalanced the rims/tires. On the highway I have to drive with the wheel slightly turned to the right to stay straight or it'll veer off left (not violently, but it doesn't just track straight on a nice flat piece of highway like it should). Are there any other suspension parts I should be concerned with here? Or could it be an issue with the tires themselves? Seem to be wearing fairly evenly, but I don't want that to continue and mess up the tires as well. I do have adjustable front/rear camber arms and I am due for another alignment/corner balance in March. Just wondering if there is anything else I can investigate in the meantime.

Sorry for being long-winded. I just want to be 100% sure that the car is in working order before bringing it back out to the track and giving it the beating it deserves
PharmDZ is offline   Reply With Quote