View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neil912
Base Member

Drives: 14 Nissan 370Z MB M6
Neil912 is on a distinguished road
Question Boosted Performance or Custom Turbo Build

Hey guys, so I just wanted some input from all those that have gone the single Turbo route. I know Boosted Performance has a great looking DIY kit that I would definitely do myself...no installer fee! WOOT! It has a very good price for the high quality parts and work put into it. It also posts very good numbers for stock engines. To complement Boosted Performance I would purchase the F.I. Exhaust and I would get the Z1 clutch with the ZSpeed HD CSC and Master replacement. I am not sure if I will also get the flywheel or stay stock. For the BP kit I am paying tuning fees unless I jack everything to hell. The exhaust and clutch got quoted for $440 by Knoxville Performance and Dyno Tuning Center. All in all that is not too shabby in price for everything. For those that haven't upgraded the OEM MAFs, have you had any issues with A/F reading? Can the stock support 480 to 550 whp decently?

Now for the custom turbo idea. Through the same place Knoxville Performance, I was quoted $10,000 for a top mounted single. This would include the labor fees for the clutch and exhaust. They told me to hold off on an exhaust until they know what will work best with their turbo idea. They plan to use either Turbonetics or Garrett turbos and not sure which model exactly. Their quoted price would not include my costs for the exhaust and clutch, that would be extra. I would be looking at around $13,000 or $14,000 when all said and done with extras, new tires, etc.

I am still working in Afghanistan so none of this will come to fruition anytime soon. Would you guys take a blind leap of faith and go with a custom build from somewhere you don't exactly know if the results will come out the way you wanted? BP already has enough product review I should probably go with that, but going the custom route seems exciting as well.
Neil912 is offline   Reply With Quote