View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #111 (permalink)
bullitt5897
Premium Member

Drives: Twin Turbo Z34
bullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGTV8 View Post
I have no doubt that you can continue with VVEL, just not on a race engine that uses a cam with more lift than the JUN.

I should perhaps preface all my comments with the fact that I am coming for a race mind-set and based on my own project specifications.

I have raced sports cars in Australia since the late 60's, and I have had a fair bit to do in recent years with GT racing.

My opinions (and to be clear - I have not yet built a VQ race engine but will have one during the course of this year) are formed after conversations with Jackson Stewart at Unitech Racing, Clark Steppler at JWT (who builds all the Grand Am Z34 engines), as well as the engine builder for the Nissan Z34 GT4 FIA Endurance series as well as the Z33 GT3 in the FIA Blancpain series and they all said that the VVEL was a complication best avoided for motorsport, so yes, you are correct, you do not need to delete VVEL for road or occasional track use.

However, if you are going to race the car, then VVEL delete is a clear decision to be made on reliability grounds. In my case, my Z34 is destined for Targa rallies and state level sports car championships and VVEL delete for me is an easy decision, but that is from my personal perspective.

The other point is that my selected cam will have 13.8mm of lift and more duration than the JUN kit, another reason not to use VVEL.

I will be more explicit in future posts.
With that preface you are absolutely correct!
Shop Cars: 2013 318whp Nismo VspecII 370z *SOLD*, 2009 1000hp+ 93oct 4.0L TT 370z Fast Intentions STAGE 4 #054
bullitt5897 is offline   Reply With Quote