View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
TreeSemdyZee
Premium Member

Drives: '09 370 & ‘14 Juke
TreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond reputeTreeSemdyZee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poto View Post
I think most dealers are on a monthly schedule for internal scorecards, so from the middle to end of the month, pressure, may increase to move inventory.

My experience has been good taking a contrarian approach; that is, buying a vehicle that fits my needs when demand is lowest, and dealer motivation is highest. The more extreme your climate varies, the more pronounced the effect on pricing. I grew up in the midwest, and generally purchased motorcycles and sports cars in Jan-Feb.

Good advice from other posters to have your financing pre-approved from your lender. I was surprised on a recent purchase to have the dealer beat my CU rate by 0.2%, but always double-check to make sure your are comparing apples-to-apples.

As far as pricing, you may find autotrader helpful to evaluate the inventory and pricing within the area you are willing to travel to purchase. Popular Mechanics has an excellent used car inspection checklist when you find something you like.

There can be opportunities buying an "orphan" - a Nissan at a Dodge dealership, for example. If the car is new(er) with low miles, you can reduce the chance of surprises without incurring warranty costs. Carfax, autocheck and a thorough inspection are mandatory; the factory warranty remainder is your safety net.

In addition, the non-factory dealer is not as familiar with the product, model year differences and options. Your knowledge here directly affects your costs. I also think the dealer has less options to dispose of the car - pretty much retail buyer or auction, whereas a Nissan dealer would list in the locator network as a CPO.

Timing, the weather man, and your research can do most of the negotiation before you get to the dealership. Have a backup choice, a clear idea of how much you are willing to pay OTD, and stick with it. Fall in love with the car AFTER you buy it.

Of all the problems to solve, this is really one of the most fun - enjoy!
The "orphan" effect definitely worked for me when buying my 350z a few years back.
I bought a "used" 350 with less than 400 miles on it at a BMW dealer. Original list was over $35k. I paid about $25k for it.
TreeSemdyZee is offline   Reply With Quote