View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dP3NGU1N View Post
Less time reaching down to shift means more time with both hands on the steering wheel. Especially helpful mid corner, particularly aggressive sweepers, when you want max control of the vehicle. Also extremely good mid transition during a drift, once again, getting back control of the steering wheel is quite important. Yes throw would be about the same (hopefully), but distance between steering wheel and shift knob would be greatly reduced - which is the point, in case you missed it.

And extension WITHOUT the short throw shifter would result in an even longer throw than stock.

I don't know that there would actually be a notchier feel because the moment arm would be about the same. Of course that's just my assumption, I could be wrong on that point. The idea is that the longer shift knob would cancel out the leverage you lose when you switch to a short throw shift assembly.

As far as a better knob goes. I'm currently using a hebi bebi shift knob. Perfectly happy with it, but I do find myself searching for it when I'm on track which is why I am considering the extension. You have to keep in mind that a short throw shifter is not simply making your shift knob "lower". It actually changes the shifting geometry by changing the pivot point so there is less mechanical travel. The length of the knob in regards to that is irrelevant other than the aforementioned leverage.
Nice write up...