Thread: 370z Rivals?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 01:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Read T
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Nissan 370z BC 6M
Read T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLUJOKE View Post
Think that can food said horse meat at the end!!! Wtf!!!! Awful
Nothing wrong with horse meat, might as well use it and not let it go to waste. It's actually pretty lean and unlike many other meats gets more tender as the animal ages. In some parts of the world horse / donkey are still eaten. I personally have never tried it but knowing me I will one day, if I haven't already. I've traveled a good bit to countries where I have no clue what the menu says and I just point at something that looks good.

Oddly enough, horse meat is now illegal for use in pet food produced in the US, but at the same time fetches such a high price overseas it would be financially idiotic to use it in pet food.

short rant:
Sadly in the US they had banned the production of horse meat, which resulted in very sick horses being crammed into trailers for them to be shipped to Mexico and sold for meat. Many of the horses didn't survive the ride down to Mexico in the horrible conditions with little regard to their care and with little regulation of ethical slaughter practices. I believe that slaughter of horses is legal federally, but most of the abattoirs have been shut down at the state level, the plus of having horse slaughter take place in the USA is that we have humane slaughter and policies to protect animal welfare and sanitation overseen by the USDA/FDA and veterinarians through acts such as the humane slaughter act and meat inspection act that the horses being shipped over our borders don't. Problems of course arise when you take into consideration that many medications used in horses (Abx/NSAID etc) are not approved for consumption in humans or the withdrawl times are not established. Until recently the only horse slaughterhouses in the US are export only, and the sale/production/transport of horse meat is regulated state to state, to my knowledge there are no functioning horse abattoirs in the US of A.

This coming from a horse owner and (licensed but not practicing) horse doctor - dogs,cats,and lizards for me. When my horses die will they be sent to slaughter? no, they will be euthanized using barbituates that render them unsuitable for consumption and then cremated or buried. However, that is not a cheap thing for the people who are already struggling to make ends ....meat.

Last edited by Read T; 01-08-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Read T is offline   Reply With Quote