View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #72 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
I use Wesson oil myself, with just a drop or two of Virgin Olive oil. ONLY the Italian genuine Olive Oil, mind you.

J/K, I use PYB, it's Moly levels are thru the roof, and I change at 3-3.5K intervals. I'll never go to track, and 5K is the highest my car tach has seen, and that was "S Shift" thinking I was going to 3rd instead of 5th at highway speeds.
I enjoy oil discussions and none of us is ever smart enough to stop learning something once in a while, even about oil.
Only problem is sometimes the Mods have to close the thread because of bitter arguments erupting.
Nothing wrong with that logic at all....PYB is a very good product. I would suggest hitting 7K once in a while: the car wants it. It really does.

SN oils are blends these days: have to be to meet the specs. Its not regular 'dino' anymore...major improvements in lube industry over time, we benefit.

its very subjective (and often ignorant) to think/state with authority that one oil is 'better' then another. This often comes up with synthetics. Just because one blend may use more PAO or Esters does not make it better. They all are just different formulations (which are proprietary to the blender).

For example Redline can be very shear stable which is great in racing conditions, but has a much lighter add pack: so running it on the street means you need to change it more often. Does that sounds like a smart use of oil and money? Not when there are better add packs and shear stable products out there for the street at a lower cost

Folks do realize the total number Zs and other 3.7L VVT cars out there that get 3-5k stock dealer bulk 5/30 oil changes in them and are perfectly fine?

Myself, I have been trending my Z on BITOG.com in the UOA forum. Few others there too, some G37s if folks want to see just some examples.

I do it out out of pure geek factor/curiosity. The $20-30 spent on a UOA, if I was truly concerned, would be better served in just changing the oil more often.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote