View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
edconline
Track Member

Drives: 10' MB Z34 6MT T/S/N
edconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond reputeedconline has a reputation beyond repute

Today was Dynamat day. That meant tearing down the doors, so I cabled the front speaker locations while the doors were apart. Running the new speaker wiring into the doors was simple. There is a nice big blank spot where you can drill on the car side, and you don't need to drill at all on the door side, just fish it in. Once you remove the door from the car, it's like a 5 min job.

Stripping down the door was more of a process, taking out the glass left me with that feeling like everything wasn't going to be ok when I went to put it all back together lol... Oh well, had to happen. Worth noting in order to fully strip the door down, the glass must come out, and in order for the glass to come out you need power to the window motor to raise it up a bit. I had to temporarily plug my gauge cluster back in so that I could get ACC power again.

Dynamat went well, it will be a good first step in soundproofing. I used both Xtreme and Superlite, I had read that there wasn't much of a difference in weight/thickness between the two but that's just not true. It was quite noticeable. I used the thicker Xtreme in the doors where I was most concerned with deadening, and Superlite everywhere else. A fair bit went into the doors as the Midbass drivers will be bumping pretty hard, and the very rear of the trunk floor is terrible for reverb so I used a fair bit of Superlite there. Everywhere else I did was just small pieces to deaden the panel overall.

Next step in the sound deadening will be doing the whole trunk floor and door panels with mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam. If I can get my hands on some thinsulate acoustic, there are a couple of the plastic trim pieces I would like to throw some behind as well. All in all, should be sub 40lbs of total soundproofing. Not enough to make any noticeable difference in performance, but should be a massive difference in SQ and how nice the cabin noise (or lack of) is.

Pictures:

Passenger door stripped:

Little bit of matting on the trunk lid:

Passenger door after matting:

Speaker cable fished into door harness:

Speaker wire coming out of new hole in car side grommet:

Trunk matted: