View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #42 (permalink)
SigPapa226
Base Member

Drives: 300 ZXTT, 370 ZR
SigPapa226 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiiden View Post
No one has mentioned the fact that while a .22 has less stopping power, a 9mm or higher will punch through walls and easily kill anyone in the vicinity if you happen to take a crazy shot and miss the perp before hitting him/her. Do you have any children in the house? Are you in an apartment complex or have neighbors nearby? If so I would recommend just a shotgun, as that is strictly a close-range weapon that won't cause too much collateral damage outside of the immediate room you are in.

Furthermore, saying that a .22 will only piss someone off is a bit of Hollywood if you ask me. Given that the majority of crooks are just normal people down on their luck an desperate (not career criminals) anyone getting shot with anything would be enough to incapacitate them.

Finally, if you're going to shoot someone in your house or on your property, make sure you kill them. I know it sounds harsh but really there should be no reason to shoot someone unless your own life is in mortal peril (i.e. s/he also has a gun or other deadly weapon with imminent threat to use it). If they're still alive when the police recover them they could potentially sue you for damages, and you would have to then prove that you were within rights to shoot them. It's just additional legal stuff to deal with. Note too that even if they're dead the cops can bring charges against you as well if they suspect the shooting was more than just self-defense.

A 22 is for practice. Only a "super ninja" can guarantee stopping anyone with a 22. Stopping power is why they developed the 45 Cal; but it is harder to handle.

For a novice the best choice is a shotgun. Its easy to use and hard to miss at short range. If a handgun is desired - go with a higher caliber. My choice is 357 or 40 S&W. Sig Sauer P226 has interchangeable barrels (9mm, 357 or 40 S&W). Mine is 40 S&W.

Use self defense ammo like Corbon jacketed hollow point. It will stop a person, but stopped by walls.