View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Different vibe, but since we're talking about favorite bands: Weirdly, I cannot find a single Led Zeppelin song I don't like, although I hardly ever listen to them anymore... (tho', Plant is apparently touring again -- new album... kinda weak...), same for the Rolling Stones up to about Steel Wheels (speaking of the stones, if you don't have Sticky Fingers, you should).
Why is that weird? They are the best musical artist of all time Seriously though, easily one of the greatest bands of all time. It was a collection of tremendously talented musical artists. I recently received as a gift a blu-ray video with concert footage and audio CD box set of their 2007 UK performance with John Bonham's (RIP) son playing the drums. I highly recommend it.

Growing up I was mainly into Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, Tribe Called Quest. I really latched onto most of my favorite bands when I found songs on their albums songs that were way better than the overplayed radio hits. Every band I've named thus far in this post has several albums where I legitimately enjoy every song on the album. I could listen to Led Zeppelin III or Presence on repeat until the end of time.

Popular artists in the early-mid 2000s really turned me off mainstream music. Stones and Bowie I need in small doses, although I can take medium doses of Queen. Plant's latest album I agree was pretty weak - I tried to like it, really.

My feeling is that more recently artists are less into the actual music and more into either making a statement or making money. I don't necessarily have a problem with an album being made while sitting in front of a computer for a few hours; everyone has different tastes. But I have a problem when there's almost no human quality to the music and its considered better than a quality artist recorded playing real instruments. And while I understand music has always been used to make a statement, a powerful statement alone cannot be used to make music IMO. Just my while I wait on hold with the IRS this morning.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote