View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

--Are you guy's running any kind of controller and or safety cut-off (window switch, progressive, solenoid cut off with fuel pressure, AFR min/max cut off)?

The Zex unit I have only activates at wide open throttle and the unit monitors nitrous and fuel mixtures to make sure I don't lean out.
Here is the Zex kit that I have.. My car is an automatic so I don't exactly miss shifts in my car. I would highly recommend a window switch for your Nismo.

--What's the drivability like at a 100hp shot? Are you primarily doing roll-on hits or out of the hole straight line?

I've done both, hole shots and rolls. 100hp directly out of the hole is quite aggressive and results in blowing your tires away in 1st and 2nd. A progressive controller would be beneficial if you are always using it from a dig at the drag strip.

100hp roll has A LOT less shock on the drive train. The car's exhaust note jumps up a few octaves and roars to life. You will feel like you are getting shot out of a gun. It's pretty ridiculous how fast the car runs. I would be tempted to say that my Z would hang with a C7, at least between 20 - 120 (and then the C7 would keep going with out me).

As for drivability... I really don't like the fact I can't use the power all the time like a turbo or super charger. I can't imagine using nitrous on a road course or a drivers situation with lots of turns, the power comes on too abrupt. On that same token, having all the abrupt power is awesome in a straight line. Hell, I was able to get a 12.5 in the quarter mile spraying which could have easily been low 12's without the excessive wheel spin I had. ... Yes a progressive controller would have been optimal.

One thing you might not be taking account for are the nitrous fills. Each fill will run you 40-60 dollars unless you are crazy and own your own filling station like me. Even owning your own filling station has a price tag.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrover View Post
Very good to hear! The only reason I would start low at 35 and work up is to monitor AFR through the rev band. If I'm in the green, then I'd step up. I'm glad to hear we're running rich to begin with.

If you guy's don't mind a few more questions:

Jordo: Are you saying that the engine could be detonating and thus could be causing damage? Or something else?

Are you guy's running any kind of controller and or safety cut-off (window switch, progressive, solenoid cut off with fuel pressure, AFR min/max cut off)?

What's the drivability like at a 100hp shot? Are you primarily doing roll-on hits or out of the hole straight line?

Thanks guy's!

--D
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote