View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #1183 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I would not disagree with that point at all. I only take exception with those that don't realize that different climates, driving styles, AND conditions can affect the temps. For those in colder climates that don't experience any higher temps I tip my hat to you I have stated many times that in the summer here, when the air temp is 100 degrees, the ambient temps on the pavement can be 115. As others have also stated, lack of airflow contributes to the oil temperature rise as well. My drive home from work must be the perfect storm lol, I get a nice open drive and some spirited driving (winding out the gears), followed by gridlock and no airflow. In the aforementioned summer air temps, I will hit 250 to 260 oil temps. I have never achieved limp mode. I am not screaming at Nissan to buy me an oil cooler, nor am I whining, just stating the facts. I contributed this for information purposes mostly, as again, I am not whining at Nissan. I may add a cooler in the spring or early summer, as I am not sure how I feel about running 260 daily for a couple of months. I do know that the car doesn't feel as "peppy" in the butt dyno at 250/260 Anyway, no bitching here, just the facts. I would never let this stop me from owning this fine automobile, I still love it and recommend it to anyone wanting a great sports car at a reasonable price

John
I'm with you, John. 260 is too high. I saw 240 in traffic the other day. It was 56 outside. Come spring, the oil cooler gets installed, Mocal using the Modshack DIY, which is the same brand I installed on a Ford Fiesta I used to race, back when the Earth was cooling...

Anything over about 240 and you start to see the beginnings of viscosity breakdown, or thermal breakdown, or whatever the f you call it . Heat is never good.