View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rockrover
Base Member

Drives: 2011 Nismo
Rockrover is on a distinguished road
Default Nismo Tune too hot for nitrous

Hey guy's...Been researching my arse off, and may be purchasing a 75 shot nitrous set up for my 11' Nismo. Either Zex or (most likely) NX.

I know the 350 guy's are running heavy shots (150) on nothing more than a step colder plugs.

My issue is I don't have access to any credible Uprev tuners in the New Mexico area. There is one in Albuquerque, but I've heard some negatives, and don't really trust the tuner to be competent enough to; a) understand the Nissan mapping, b) Not make the engine more susceptible to detonation and leaning out. Seems if the tuner isn't knowledgeable, the car gets worse, not better.

My concern is with the stock Nismo tune. I read that the timing is hotter, and the AFR is leaner. Two issues you don't want with No2. Question is, how much leaner, and how much more advance? I'd like to believe that a 75hp shot once in a while will be fine without a tune, and I've read that to be true on a standard non-Nismo tune, but what about the Nismo tune?

I plan on using a NX Maximizer 4 controller, which claims to monitor AFR through our wide ban 02, and cut the solenoids if the programmed high/low value is exceeded. That coupled with a low pressure fuel cut-off, and I should be able to keep things...Well...In the box.

So how much hotter is the Nismo timing? Should I be really all that concerned with a 75 shot? If I do this a step down on plugs will be done of course.

TIA,

--D