View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #80 (permalink)
tag824
Base Member

Drives: 335is
tag824 is on a distinguished road

I've owned a BMW for the past 12 years and currently drive one and would agree, don't get the bimmer if you cannot get an extended warranty. I've had my share of "unreliable" bimmer's but then again I've also had very reliable ones. My current 335is has only had two issues in the past 4 years, one was the lifters in the trunk squeaking and was a two minute fix and the other was vibrations in the car which turned out to be a lose oil cooler hose that came free of the guide mount (not spilling mind you) and was touching the chassis causing vibrations. Again, an easy fix. Aside from that it's been rock solid and still going strong.

Another thing about bimmers that most may not know. BMW takes care of you, literally. During the first 4yrs/50k they will do anything and everything to upkeep the car from free oil changes, to new wipers every year to even topping off your washer fluid. And, if your car is ever in the shop they will give you a brand new loaner until they fix it. Here's the best part, even if you're past the warranty they will still fix any major problems for at least one full year under "good will". This is of course if you purchased the car new and are the original owner.

BMW's are not the most reliable but neither are many of the JDM vehicles as of late. They have their fair share of issues and recalls. My brothers Acura which is only a few years old had to have it's entire transmission replaced due to a defect.

As far as maintaining the car outside of warranty, you can get parts online for less and find a good indy shop to do the work but as others have said you will pay more than on say a Z. After all, it's still German "luxury" car. Get what you like and can afford, but most importantly be smart about your purchase. Good luck.
tag824 is offline   Reply With Quote