View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #1177 (permalink)
avitech
Base Member

Drives: 82Mercedes-Benz300SD
avitech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
It came across as very condescending. Charleston has actually won the most friendly city in America so many times, that Conde Nast retired us from the competition. The reason the handicapped parking spaces are on the ground level is to make it easier for a handicapped person to manuver. The top level does not have elevator service on some of the older garages, that were built before certain code restrictions applied. By increasing the number of handicapped spaces on the first level however, we were making it easier for a handicapped person to park. I believe there are more than enough to pass code taking into account that the top level has no elevator service.

I do not favor excessive speed on public highways. That said, we have stretches of interstate in the south with a posted limit of 75MPH. People regularly drive close to 85 MPH on them. Assuming the vehicle is in good mechanical condition and tires are fine, there is little danger in that, assuming no racing is going on.

"assuming no racing is going on". I like that.

As for there being little danger at 85mph. You are absolutely right. Under certain conditions it is perfectly safe. But until Americans can push for higher speed limits to be posted and better drivers training; some cop is gonna write as many tickets as he/she can in a lifetime.

As for now. Driving even 1 mph above the posted speed limit is a ticket-able offense. Plus you are sharing the road with a lot of incompetent drivers with cars in poor mechanical condition with roads that could use better signage among other improvements.