View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
DCNISMO
Track Member

Drives: Nismo Z
DCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond reputeDCNISMO has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So when you do your 60mph braking runs you want to make sure that you brake hard until no less than 5 mph, and then you let off the brakes so they can cool down before another run.
Exactly, in MD I have a nice long road.....no entrances to it, where I would do the procedure. Do hard braking from various speeds and on the last application I would just keep driving and let the brakes cool off. If you do it right, you can see where the pad material has been deposited onto the rotor and it will not be a shiny steel look. More of a dull gray. But every now and then you have to re-bed the rotors and pads if you don't actually go to the track and do mostly street driving. The pad material will build up on the rotors and cause what may seem to be a warped rotor when its just uneeven pad deposit. Alcons are race brake systems, thats why they cost so much. Also note that the XP-8 pad does not have much initial bite when its cold. You need to heat them up a bit. So when you track them don't go balls out till you do a lap or two to get the heat in them. The B6 S4 was/is a heavy pig.....and I never once had the Alcons fade or overheat. The stock brakes on it easily would fade on a twisty mountain road.
DCNISMO is offline   Reply With Quote