View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
juld0zer
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z MB M6
juld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
The ECM is probably seeing the reported water temperature jump from minimum to maximum. When it sees max, it cuts power. I'd check the water temp sensor and wiring first. See FSM (link in my sig) for more info.
I'm putting my money on the coolant temp sensor or its wiring too.
If you're not too burly, take off the ornamental engine covers, climb up with your knees on the radiator core support (the flat hard part) and have a look down near the firewall. You will see a silver cast alloy pipe with a connector coming off it. The sensor has a blue plastic base so it's easy to see but hard to access.

My mate had a R58 mini cooper S which had a faulty coolant temp sensor, it went from sub zero to way over 100*c and kept cycling back and forth. It tricks the ecu to run the cold start map and also tricks the ecu to run the failsafe mode with fans on full blast and AC disabled on our cars. Stuck thermostat would never cause that quick of a fluctuation.

Fortunately, Nissan uses the same sensor on heaps of their cars so a second hand donor is in abundance. And heaps of aftermarket options. It's a denso sensor from memory and you will need a deep socket to remove/replace it.
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote