View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #106 (permalink)
Crypto2k
Base Member

Drives: 2009 Nissan 370z
Crypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud ofCrypto2k has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyperbole View Post
I had the RJM Performance adjustable clutch pedal installed today, and it is a night-and-day difference from stock. I haven't fully fine-tuned it yet, but this is exactly how a clutch should feel. At 70% (which is the recommended starting point), the clutch effort required is greater, which is appropriate for the 370Z, but at the same time, the feel is much better. Also, the engagement point is closer to the floor, and its window is more predictable/repeatable.

The unanimous praise this clutch pedal has received is well-deserved. As someone else has written, you will wonder why you waited so long to get rid of the stock clutch pedal. I ordered the RJM pedal three days after getting my 370Z. My prior car was a 2007 350Z, and in my opinion, that car's OEM clutch is a bit better than the 370's. I got used to it over the seven years I owned it, but it was by no means great or even good. However, the 370's clutch is borderline intolerable/unacceptable unless you drive the car very gingerly or deliberately.

Further, I want to reiterate how excellent Ryan's customer service is. My experience has been exactly what others have reported. Ryan has answered all of my emails in an timely fashion (within a day at most), and his replies have been extremely detailed and relevant to all of my questions. He does not gloss over anything and goes the extra mile to explain everything in easy-to-understand language. Ryan is simply outstanding, and he deserves the recognition.

So to anyone who is considering replacing the OEM helper spring with the Century spring or even removing it altogether, I implore you not to waste your time with either of those mods; they are Band-Aid fixes at best. Just go all the way and get it done right the first time. Yes, the RJM clutch pedal costs considerably more than a replacement spring, but it is so worth it. Think about how many times you engage/disengage your clutch every time you drive the car. It is such an important interaction point with the car that changing over to the RJM clutch pedal alters the character of the car and transforms it to what it should have been from the factory. Being able to shift gears properly exponentially will exponentially increase your enjoyment of your Z.
Having installed my pedal a couple weeks ago and driving a handful of times since, I couldn't agree more or be more delighted with the way it's changed the drivability of the car. Night and day is no exaggeration. I'd done the spring removal then spring replacement and it was better but I still had to drive with intent and focus which took away from enjoyment.

Installation went pretty easy and the build quality is easily better than OEM. You'll laugh at the size of the assembly you pull out and all the space that's freed up.

Engagement is butter smooth and predictable, it's no longer at the top of the swing and the clutch/car seems to be happier with it as well. The shifts, load on the tranny and power delivery are all vastly improved. Even with an after market clutch and flywheel, first and second starts are very smooth and you can easily inch the car forward without feeling like it's going to die.

Having driven a stick most of my driving life, I thought I'd lost my MOJO with this one and honestly was pretty disappointed. Now I'm extremely happy and look forward to the opportunity to drive it each time.

This is hands down the best money anyone could spend on their Z. Everything else comes secondary to the few items that tie the driver to the car. Thank you RJM Performance for engineering an amazing product, making it budget friendly and for being a great detailed oriented "good guy" to boot. I would buy this again many times over.

Don't hesitate guys....buy it! You'll be ashamed at what you've been missing.
Crypto2k is offline   Reply With Quote