View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
ZeroZeta
Track Member

Drives: 2013 Z
ZeroZeta is just really niceZeroZeta is just really niceZeroZeta is just really niceZeroZeta is just really niceZeroZeta is just really nice
Default Advice needed on re-using OEM wiring

Hey all. I ran into a wiring challenge while installing a set of Polk DB6501 components into my 2013 base.

So the short story is that I underestimated how much room I would need to open/close the car door in order to remove the door molex connectors and run new wire to the door speakers.

I have a very small single car garage with about a foot of space on either side of the car (doors closed). Getting in and out of the car has always been a challenge but I thought it would be enough to get the molex connectors removed. - Its not.

The logical thing is to move the car outside the garage but that is not an option at the moment for a few different reasons.

I ended up doing the following:

1. Connected to the door speakers to the tiny factory wires. (but not connected to crossover at the moment)

**I can't trace the door speaker wires under the dash /interior molex - So the only thing I can think of is to splice them to the radio side of a Metra harness and then run them back to the crossover. - Note that I am not talking about the input signal - Just trying to find a way to get them from the OEM door wires - without butchering factory wiring. - which the only way I will likely be able to identify is at the head unit harness.

2. The component tweeters are running on new speaker wire going to the Polk crossover. Crossovers are mounted in the kick panels. - no issues there.

It is totally stupid that I can't find the door speaker wires in the interior and might have to resort to using several extra feet of wire to go to my head unit just so I can run them back to the crossovers which are mounted in my kick panels.

I would love to hear if anyone else has any suggestions on this - As I am not thrilled with my own solution at this point.

Thanks in advance!
ZeroZeta is offline   Reply With Quote