View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
sandersd
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 370z Nismo
sandersd will become famous soon enoughsandersd will become famous soon enough
Default Ruminations

I've always been a DIY kinda' guy. I hate paying someone to do something I can do. I always figured I could buy the parts and the tools to do a job for less than a third party would charge me for parts and labor, plus I'd probably do a better job since I was working on my own property. I've spent my life in construction and engineering. I'm very meticulous and conscientious. I also have a bazillion tools from years of doing things myself.

I think I've reached a balance point. I don't want any more tools cause if I buy them then I have to store them and I'm out of room. I have tools I rarely use anymore but it's hard to get rid of them because I might need them one day and I wouldn't have them. I gave up yard work years ago. I'm tired of remodeling my house. I don't mind working on the car occasionally, maintenance and upgrades, but I have no interest in keeping an old car running with countless repairs - I'd rather pay someone to do it or just replace it with a new one. That's how I came to own the Nismo, I sold a 2002 911 (never buy a German car out of warranty).

There's certain things I'm not going to DIY on my car, alignments for example. I know some guys do it with strings and levels but I just assume pay someone with an efficient and accurate setup and be done with it, no hassle. I'm adding installing coil springs to that list of things I'd rather pay someone else to do.

In all my years of building things I've learned to buy the best tools one can afford: they do a better job, they do it faster, and they do it safer. If I can't afford the proper tool, pay someone who has it. It's certainly cheaper in regards to time and frustration, but more importantly I end up with a better finished product.