View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
RicerX
Track Member

Drives: To the Pizza joint.
RicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond reputeRicerX has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much of a fan of these statistics at all. They're borderline meaningless in the grand scheme of things, especially with this group of cars.

"Sporty" cars is quite a lofty, non-committal term in this case because it tries to do too much at once.

One car I would immediately discredit is the Corvette Stingray. What percentage of owners are still in the "honeymoon" phase? Silly to gauge owner satisfaction there. I know that every car I ever owned, within the first year or so, I would likely say "yes I would buy it again." Is that a fair sentiment when you have most of that car's owners and their satisfaction levels gauged against a likely equal pool of people with a 6 year old 370Z? Of course, at that point, they're likely going to be like "yeah, it's time for something new". Completely asinine. Of those cars on that poll, the 370Z is one of the oldest platforms.

The other piece of it is - why wouldn't you buy again? How many of the people who can afford a Corvette Stingray likely can afford a more practical car to handle life? I challenge you to take that demographic and compare it to Z owners - they likely won't buy another Z because life simply won't accommodate a 2 seater as things happen and they have to move on. Most Vette owners are in their 50s and 60s. There are plenty of Z owners in their late teens and early 20s on this board, and it's their only car.

Then, to combine those two cars, the demographics in each, and compare them to a FWD four-door Civic SI? Or an AWD Audi S4 sedan? A Focus hatchback? A ******* FIAT?

This is why anything Consumer Reports piles together is a load of ****. While there are valid points made by many people in this thread about shortcomings of the Z, the report itself... nothing to see here.

Last edited by RicerX; 12-04-2014 at 01:48 PM.
RicerX is offline   Reply With Quote