View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
dislimn
Base Member

Drives: 14 Z Sport 6 speed
dislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond reputedislimn has a reputation beyond repute

I've got CAI/HFC/E for the Z and no engine mods for the WRX, the "STI Exhaust" is just an appearance/sound package it seems, offers no real gains but I'm dead scared of modifying the Subaru only for a ring land to crack. There haven't been many repots of engine problems with the new FA20DIT (vs EJ25 08-14 WRX/STI) engines but it's still a worrying thought, especially how SoA is known to deny warranties for the slightest things.

Anyways, the stock tune is crap so it's a Subaru all right. There's a dip of power around 4500RPM for a few hundred RPM and then it picks back up only to fall on its face at about 6000RPM (700RPM short of redline) and there's noticable rev hang between 1st and 2nd where the RPMs have to drop from 6700RPM to 3500RPM. It's quite a drop between those two gears.

My two local friends have COBB software, one is Protune Stage II and one is just COBB OTS Stage 1 and the revhang is instantly fixed so don't let that worry you it can be tuned out. The power dip is also tuned out. My Stage II buddy is making 280/330 with only a J-pipe (downpipe) and catback. Stock intake. He's doing TVG deletes and an intake soon and I'll travel back to Dallas with him to AWDTuning to get his WRX retuned and get my Z UpRev tuned, probably February or March.

Acceleration: The torque kick in the midrange is nice. It's a GREAT city/daily/stop-n-go kinda car.

RWD vs. AWD: Grip for days. You HONESTLY have to give it some ABUSIVE steering inputs to get it to lose traction.

I really like it but never forget its in the same class as a Civic, Carolla, Mazda 3 because it feels a little "cheap" in areas but Subaru was never Volkswagen.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. No regrets.
dislimn is offline   Reply With Quote