View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
TheBoomSpoon
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370z 7at
TheBoomSpoon is on a distinguished road

I have chromecast and love it and use it at home to stream from a whs server which contains my entire library. So one thing you need to be aware of is that chromecast natively only streams mp4 and mkv and one other newer format NATIVELY from your own files. If you plan to rip your own dvd and stream you will need something to transcode avi, etc on the fly or make sure you to burn to mkv or mp4 initially. also your chromecast and your device your streaming from must be on the same wi-fi network.

From your scenario i think LEAF antenna to receive over the air channels in hd is your best and simplest option. That way you select a channel and leave it. That would be my choice. You'll need one per tv.

If you go chromecast or roku and you want to stream netflix, hulu, crackle, etc you can do that without having to worry about format of your own library however you are starting and stoping manually. In the environment for your saloon this would get old fast.

Unless you've a huge library via torrenting forget streaming your own stuff. If you want to though i use bubbleupnp software with their Free bubbleupnp server (small 20 sec install) that can on-fly transcode non supported chromecast files and stream them. I use this in conjunction with serviio free media server. Bubble is 5 bucks from playsore if you ho this route. Holler if like more explanation.

Also, most smart tv already support netflix and hulu streaming without needing any additional hardware. Just check which streaming services are built in.

Last edited by TheBoomSpoon; 11-30-2014 at 08:42 AM.
TheBoomSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote