View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
370zHawaii
Enthusiast Member

Drives: A Starship
370zHawaii is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the awesome responses. I will wait for the Junkman to hear his response as well, hope he chimes in. If not I will take the advice and PM him. I do have some automotive clear coat from touchup, but after reading about burning through the clear coat, from what I gather it is more of a PIA to blend the clear coat then to have it resprayed again.

A few asked why, well I did not know any better about using a higher grit (again noob mistake). I was looking to see if I could get the factory orange peel smooth and remove the imperfections in the clear coat. I clay barred and polished still the paint was not perfect (maybe it's because I am an OCD/perfectionist), so I tested an area on the fender and the result was not good.

I called around 2 shops this morning, first shop quoted me $350 with a one day turn around, second shop quoted me $150 with a 3 day turn around. That's why I was asking about going aftermarket for fenders. Either way this is an expensive lesson learned on my part. I will not give up on wet sanding, but I will make sure I have the right tools, and equipment-supplies before I do, higher grade grit paper, and paint thickness meter to match.
370zHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote