View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z Ninja
Base Member

Drives: 14 370Z BLK 6MT
Z Ninja is on a distinguished road
Post Heated Seats and Toasted Skin Syndrome

The first time I experienced a heated seat, the driver warned me, "You might feel like you wet yourself." That description stuck and I could never forget equating peeing your pants with turning on my heated seat. But like most of you that purchased a Z with heated seats, it's something that feels so good, it's almost like sitting in a hot tub; especially that brutally cold morning when everything feels like and ice cube and your heater isn't working yet.

But through my curiosity about heated seats, I discovered some odd information that not everyone may be aware of. Those bun warmers may be causing a strange skin condition known as "Toasted Skin Syndrome" or Erythema ab igne, which is latin for, "redness from fire." Some other strange and funny nicknames for this condition are fire stains, hot water bottle rash, laptop thigh, and granny's tartan.

Turns out that prolonged exposure to heat can cause an unusual spiderweb brown rash on the skin that is unsightly and sometimes itchy, but not serious. Even the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administrator had begun an investigation in to alleged burns due to poor or malfunctioning seat heaters. Some interesting links below...

Erythema ab igne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toasted Skin Syndrome: Car Seat Warmers Could Lead To Unsightly Condition
Heated car seats could reduce male fertility, say scientists - Telegraph

But casting aside the weirdness with heated seats, has anyone noticed in their Z, that if you turn the seat on high, it seems to turn off prematurely and not warm up as much as keeping it on low? It acts as though, on high, the temperature inside the unit heats up too rapidly and turns itself off before it's really had a chance to warm up. By keeping it on low, I seem to get better characteristics, but sometimes do feel the need to turn it off as it starts to get a bit too toast after a while. At least there is a high and a low. My previous car only had on and off, and it frequently got way too hot after a while, so I welcome finally having a low setting.
Z Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote