View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Read T
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Nissan 370z BC 6M
Read T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond reputeRead T has a reputation beyond repute
Question Coating on Z1 Rotors

Quick question, that maybe some people here can answer - or Z1 can chime in.

My track-only rotors are Z1 1 piece slotted blanks. They did great for me at the last HPDE, but the black coating on the hat and the outside of the rotor has melted a good bit. I first noticed this upon installing the rotors - brake cleaner makes the hats get "sticky" and the coating started to run off the rotors as a black/grey film, even prior to installing them.

I'm getting ready for another upcoming HPDE and have now noticed that the black coating must have softened at the track and formed ridges around the mating surfaces of the wheel. The rotors now present an uneven surface to the wheel. I will probably just sand this down so it's nice and smooth, but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and what the purpose of that coating is. I assume it's just for looks.

I can take pictures if y'all really want to see

...of the rotors

Last edited by Read T; 11-14-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Read T is offline   Reply With Quote