View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #114 (permalink)
nismo9132
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370Z NISMO
nismo9132 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37zeroZ View Post
I've been following this thread .......and has me a bit nervous.

I too had fitment issues with my tails I ordered from AAM not too long ago. The problem was that the driver’s side fitment was way off. (The passenger side fit fine.) Looking at both short tails side-by-side, there were obvious differences; passenger side was longer, weld location for the rubber bracket were different, and the driver's side bracket was taller. When I initially tested fitted the driver’s side, I knew there was no way in hell this was made correctly and/or thought this was another vehicle's tail.

Long story short.....I worked with AAM, in which, Jason provided great and timely customer service. I was shipped another full set they said was actually tested fitted on their car to make certain I wouldn't have any issues. However, I did have to use two provided spacers on the driver's side and affix the tips on the passenger side outward more to even alignment between both sides. No big deal. In the end, I was satisfied with the look and sound.

Being satisfied with AAM's customer service and wanting to complete my full cat-back, I ordered the mid-pipe. My mid-pie is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I want to install myself, but now I'm a bit nervous. If I do attempt to install myself - and run into fitment issues - I believe I don't have the knowledge and/or tools to make the necessary corrections/modifications. I think it might be best if a shop does it. That way, at least it'll be on a lift vice stands, and they would be more experienced to handle any issues that might come up. I think most would agree with my reasoning?
Thank you for posting this. I'm happy to hear that they were at least able to resolve the issues with the manufacturing defects that were present in the short tail that they sent you. This post also demonstrates how this is a larger issue than AAM needs to deal with. For your sake, I hope the mid pipe fits as it should. To be quite honest, I was planning on buying the mid pipe shortly after installing the short tails so the exhaust system would look a bit nicer (as all visible stainless).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick64 View Post
I found this thread very informative. Thanks for posting nismo9132. You had a bad experience that was clearly defined in your original post. Some people don't see it that way, but like you said, everyone is entitled their opinion. Yes, AAM may have a great reputation, but your experience was far from great. Isolated incidents like this still need to get resolved, and you still haven't had gotten that ORIGINAL shipping refund yet. I think it's the least they could do given all the trouble you've had to go through. Be sure to let us know when/if it goes through
Thank you. All I intended was to inform the community. I will definitely let everyone know if/when they resolve it.