View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
sandersd
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 370z Nismo
sandersd will become famous soon enoughsandersd will become famous soon enough
Default Notes on bolt torque values

I read in another thread to use 45 ft lbs as the torque value. The bolts provided are M10 x 40 pitch 1.25 grade 4.8 and the torque values per Nissan service manual is 21 ft lbs/28 Nm (without lubricant). I found this out after I broke one of the bolts over torquing it.

197632509.gif

190888682.gif

The values in the service manual are general per bolt size and not specific to any particular assembly, nevertheless 21 ft lbs seems too low since I had originally used 45 lbs and the flanges at the front of the resonators were still leaking water. Since I had to remove the bolts several times I kept upping the torque to get compression on the gasket and when I reached 60 ft lbs one of the bolts broke. When I replaced it I used a grade 8.8 and 60 ft lbs which is still way over the recommended value of 30 ft lbs.

I'm not sure one could achieve a complete seal at only 21 ft lbs with the provided bolts but I would recommend to use that value, then start the car on the lift or stands and check for leaks and upping the torque only if necessary. If a much higher value was required it might be prudent to replace the supplied bolts with a higher grade to prevent any inconveniently timed leaks or issues with CO as a result of the bolt snapping from being overstretched/overstressed.

The manufacturer really should provide this kind of basic information with installation notes for their product.

Last edited by sandersd; 11-09-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added charts
sandersd is offline   Reply With Quote