View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Clint@Altered
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: econobox
Clint@Altered is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstrnldr View Post
Kit looks good overall but i have a few questions:

Anymore info on the turbos? The compressor housing looks like the HKS/Garrett offerings, but i can't tell for sure which ones.

I noticed the hard coolant pipe on the drivers side was eliminated and replaced w/ AN fittings, does the hardline not clear the manifold?

Any reason for all of the fittings (at the block) on the oil feed? I don't think i've seen anything like that on other turbo kits.

Does the drivers side oil return sit at as bad of an angle as it appears? Also why does the oil return so low in the pan, isn't that below oil level?

taken from: TurboByGarrett.com - Turbo Tech101

Finally any reason for the separated exhaust? I always thought having a crossover of some sort "H" or "X" helped both flow and sound.

thanks in advance for the response.
Hi fstrnldr,

The Twin Kit is set up to accept Garrett gt25/gt28turbine housings. This gives it its flexibility. You guys can chose whatever Garrett CHRA you want - 28RS, 2540, 3037 etc. The compressor cover show in the picture is a modified Garrett 2860RS cover. We machined off the inlet and bolted on in its place a billet clockable-inlet which we machined here. By doing this, we can retain the Garrett inlet diameter AND at the same time increase clearance, ease installation, and allow for w/g mounting flexibility for those who choose internal w/g set-ups.

We can machine housings shown to accept Garrett CHRAs (to Garrett tolerances) which range anywhere from 300~ 600hp each. Making for an easy 800whp capable 370Z if you really want to go big with a lot of boost. We have external w/g manifolds available as well. Any takers?? We'll be working late winter/spring on our own 370Z with some similar goals..........

The factory coolant lines which recirc around the block on the drivers side do get in the way of the turbine manifold. Other manufacturers (kits on lots of different vehicles) require you to cut the factory coolant lines and push on hose with a clamp to get around the manifolds.

We wanted a seamless kit. A kit which did not require any modification the block or factory components. So we opted to remove the whole assembly and replace it with a bolt-on machined coolant distribution block. The block uses the factory gasket, retains the factory coolant diameter, and allowed us to move the coolant way from the manifold. There is a heat shield that sits on top of that manifold - I'll see if i can get a pic uploaded.

This is also why we chose to build an intercooler which would retain the front impact beam. We have an additional monster intercooler (on my desk actually, lol) which requires the removal of the beam. But for a street car, the 5mph bumper is important to have.

The return line on the drivers side just look odd in the picture - actually the whole picture is sort of at a weird angle. It is following a good gravity driven flow - 10AN 60° out of a billet Garrett drain fitting. The return flows into the oil pan spacer in the pan. We have a pickup spacer which moves the factory pickup lower in the pan to accommodate for the drain and spacer - it also increase oil capacity by 1qt. We've used this set-up successfully for years and it really cleans up the whole install.

On this set-up, to retain the oil sending unit AND clear the Mocal oil cooler sandwich plate adapter/fittings, and starter, we had to use a few more fittings for the feed. We are making a billet oil distribution block that will give the kit the flexibility to clear an aftermarket sandwich plate adapter with the need for excessive fittings for the oil feed.

All in all, we and the customer are VERY happy with the results. The power it made was SAE corrected - the car made I think 513 or so uncorrected without a boost controller! The internal w/g set-up provided a very smooth 6~8psi boost curve. And even in recent cold weather we saw no spike. With a bit more boost, 600whp potential is a given from this exact set-up. Like I mentioned earlier, we also have external w/g set-ups available for those looking to make a lot of boost!!

Thanks Harold for giving us an opportunity to work on your 370Z!!

AAM COMPETITION VQ37 Turn-Key Twin Turbo Packages
Available Now!
www.alteredatmosphere.com ClintonM@alteredatmosphere.com

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 12-01-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: more info added