View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #60 (permalink)
Push370zzz
Track Member

Drives: cars
Push370zzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking View Post
But but but what IF say you're cruising on 5th and prepare to stop at a red light. Instead of downshifting you put it in neutral and just use the brakes to slow down? That would save you gas right?
NO! When you are off the throttle IN a gear you are using almost no fuel. Coasting actually works the engine like a generator. When you are in neutral and braking the engine will just be idling as if you are stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwsrt6 View Post
This. When driving I pop it in neutral and downshift to whatever gear needed when it comes time to accelerate out, whether it be a turn or a red light turning green, with s mode on it continuously revs to match speed.
I find it strange how yes I admit it may be a little bit, but someone brings up a good topic and people just can't believe that were discussing it, if you don't like the topic or think it's ridiculous in anyway why post a response to begin with?
That's what I do if I know I'm going to have to come to a complete stop, go to Neutral after slowing down to 1500rpm or so in whichever gear I happen to be in. If I won't have to stop just leave it in gear, maybe downshift once or twice. Putting it in Neutral does use MORE gas than leaving it in gear and not braking even if you are at 4000rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp38 View Post
That's just what I've noticed about not actually calculating or anything but that's about what I noticed take it with a grain of salt
Sorry, but your results are going to be almost exclusively from different conditions. You may not realize it but you probably drive more aggressively with it on. S-mode alone is not going to add or remove 25 miles per tank....are you guys nuts?