View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I'll see if I can write it clearly here.

There are 2 pins that go across the top of the caliper and hold the brake pads in place. Those pins are secured themselves with cotter pins.

Remove the cotter pins and with a small punch, drive the pins out of the calipers.

Once the pins are removed, pull the pads out of the top.

Use a couple of flat blade screwdrivers to push the pistons back into the calipers to make room for the new, thicker pads.

Transfer the shims from the old pads to new ones, and reinsert the pads in the calipers.

Replace the pins and cotter pins and you are done.

It's really a piece of cake. Hardest part is grabbing the cotter pins with needlenose pliers. I use a medium phillips head screwdriver instead of the punch, you only need to push the pin a few mm and then you can grab it with your hand or pliers if it hot after a track session. You can use just about anything that's not too rough to push the piston back in, I often carefully use the old pad as a lever.
ChrisSlicks is offline   Reply With Quote