View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
cooltoy
Elite Member

Drives: 14 PW 370Z S/T MT
cooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapala View Post
Thanks. i did know that to be honest.I have been driving cars with a manual gearstick for 29 years but never blipped the throttle on the downshift.Unless you are racing i don't think you are going to lose that much speed by not doing it and letting the revs catch up.I sometimes use it as a way to slow the car down too by changing down a gear and letting the clutch off.Not quite so easy in the 370z as the clutch is a bit high sprung and the biting point so small.

I will add i have had the rev match off for a few days and find the car a lot smoother to drive. Especially the first to second gear change.
With my previous cars (Audi Quattro coupe, Eagle Talon TSi and Celica GTS) I always rev matched and used the revs to slowdown the car instead of the brakes. But here I have learned that it is bad for the clutch (could be the reason had to get a new clutch for my Eagle Talon TSi way back when), which is more expensive then new break pads.

The main reason I rev matched, is that I am always in pursuit of the perfect drive (smooth shifts, smooth breaking, etc.) and the only way to make your down shift smooth is to rev match, otherwise the car will lurch.

When I first got the Z, I did not like the automatic rev matching, but only because I did not understand it and did knot how to properly use it. I used to turn it off all the time. But now after a few month of driving, I no longer turn it off and I like it a lot. It gives me those perfect drives more often.

As far the first to second shift, just hold the clutch in a bit longer for a two count, which will allow the S-match to catch up (it works on the upshifts too) and you will have a much smoother shift.

Look up "helper spring mod" in the DIY section to help with the "high sprung" clutch.

Member of kenchan's "photoshopped mods" and "proper offsets" gang.

Last edited by cooltoy; 10-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.
cooltoy is online now   Reply With Quote