View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #57 (permalink)
JMow
Base Member

Drives: 2014 370Z Base MT
JMow is on a distinguished road

PAC SWI RC and the AXXESS ASWC-1 on a 2014 370Z base (non-Bose, non-nav.) with a Kenwood KDC-BT958HD.

VOLUME WORKS BUT NOTHING ELSE- Try swapping the two steering wheel signal wires.

AXXESS- has two sets of instructions for the Z, with one having only the two steering wheel signal wires opposite of the other, I decided I’d try it both ways. But don’t be fooled if only volume works! That doesn’t mean you have the wires right. Once I swapped the wires, everything auto-programmed flawlessly- done!

PAC - I did get the volume working, but did not try swapping steering wheel signal wires. Based on my experience with the AXXESS, you could give it a try on the PAC.
Obviously this assumes the other wiring is right- power and ground to the unit, and pin 15 on the Z needs to be grounded.

WHY I LIKE AXXESS ASWC-1 BETTER THAN PAC SWI RC
Axxess worked. I gave up on the PAC after a good try and since I found the PAC SWI RC is not compatible some Kenwoods with similar model #s as mine (See PAC website). Perhaps I just needed to swap signal wires, but there were other compelling reasons to go with Axxess as well.

Axxess has simpler wiring- The PAC-SWI RC features a bag of resistors and capacitors to solder in-line. Who wants to deal with that?? Admittedly Axxess comes with 1 resistor needed for programming certain Kenwood models (I didn’t need it with my Kenwood)

Axxess has non-volatile memory- meaning that in a few years when you change your car battery you will not have to also dig behind you dashboard to find the unit and program it.

Axxess has an auto-programming feature- this worked great once I had the wiring correct. Saves time. The programming with the PAC actually takes a little practice to get the sequences and timing correct for pushing all the buttons.

COMPARING SPEED- tie. I’ve seen posts on one vs. the other in speed. I had volume working on the PAC. I didn’t time it, but both seemed to increase or decrease volume at the same rate. Non-noticable / negligible difference.

Last edited by JMow; 10-25-2014 at 09:17 AM.
JMow is offline   Reply With Quote